Friday, June 6, 2008

Soapbox: Seatbelts

I am sure that the other parents at my children's schools love their kids as much as I do! Which is why I am totally baffled by the lack of seatbelt use and the amazing number of children under the magic 4'9" number not in booster seats. There is even a police officer who drops off his kids, front seat with no belts! Hello! Have they not see the commercial about how fast objects (including people) move forward in a vehicle that suddenly stops!

It has never been a choice in our car and the kids have never questioned it. One block or 10 hours, we buckle up! Hell my son who is now 16 and driving was in a booster until the 5th grade and did not sit in the front seat until about 8th grade! My 7 year old wanted to be measured a few weeks ago, I told her she was 3'10". She said how many more til I'm 4'9"? She knows her magic number and looking out for the day she reaches it.

Just a few months ago we had two students killed in a car crash here. All four thrown and no one wearing a seatbelt. A few weeks later a similar accident on the same highway. The college president, college newspaper, local newspapers and the local tv news all had a lot to say about seatbelt use and it's importance. Yet, I drive around town and see Delta State students (recognizable by their parking pass) 4-5 to a car with no seatbelt on!

When will people learn-if you love someone tell them to buckle up and set the example-buckle your self up!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Amen sister. Snappy would be proud:)