Monday, August 4, 2008

Not Sure I'm Brave Enough

Somehow when your a parent you never really think about your children growing up. You just kind of think they will always be a constant.

Yesterday I did one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I moved my baby boy-who somehow managed to become 16 and a half into a dorm room three hours away from me.

I encouraged him to go to this place, I nugded him when he became unsure. Some may think that since I enabled it I don't get to be sad. But it sure hurts to look at his room and know he doesn't live there anymore.

I am very proud of him. He is attending the Mississippi School for Math and Science for his junior and senior year of high school. It is a Mississippi public school, the catch it is residential. He can come home on weekends, holidays and summers. This past year 273 high school sophmores applied and 123 got in, he was one of them which is very special.

MSMS will be a great place for Tony, the perfect place for a kid like him, but I it's taking all my effort not to go back there and bring him home. I gave up on holding back the tears-wasn't working anyway.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You are super brave! Most parents don't let their kids go until they are 18. It's a huge adjustment but you'll get through it one day at a time. And thank goodness for email and cell phones and family in Starkville, right?

BB Historias said...

I think you are a super mom, I admire you so much. You are my example on how to be a good Mom for Ana Sofia.
I agree with Sarah, you are very brave to let go one of your babies at 16.
You know, I did not understand why my parents cried when I left home for college until now that I have a baby. My mom once told me that my father also used to come to my empty room and cry.
I think I will not be brave at all and I will maybe try to have Ana Sofia at home until she is 50 years old!!
In addition to your family in Starkville, you know you also have friends (like us) who you can count for anything Tony needs.